Friday, February 10, 2006

hellfire and that such

I said earlier that I wanted to use this as a chance to spout off theologically, which I don't much allow myself to do in public. What I'm writing here is just my opinion...the Greek word is theologoumena. I wonder what the plural of that is?

OK, first point. I believe that all will be judged on the last day, by Christ. Second point: you are judged on the basis of what you know. Using the tired example of the tribesman in a mud hut, this tribesman in a mud hut has never heard of Christ. I don't think that person would be judged in the same way as someone who has. Or supposing you have heard of Christ, but what you've heard is inaccurate. Or maybe you've heard bits of accurate but not enough to make a whole picture. Do I know how God is going to judge you? No I don't. God is the judge. Not me. Thank goodness. I wouldn't want his job.

I want to be saved. I am being saved. Salvation is present continuous and future. You can't speak of it as the past participle, 'have been saved', unless you modify it with the other tenses. I am being saved, and I hope that I will be saved. But I can no longer use Protestant language of "I'm going to heaven for sure!". I can't say that! I'm not God. "Let he who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall." (I can't remember which Gospel that verse is from.)

My personal motto and favorite prayer is "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

could 'theologoumena' already be plural? I'm thinking by analogy with phenomenon/phenomena and criterion/criteria (and the not-as-well-known cafeterion/cafeteria).

February 11, 2006 1:02 AM  
Blogger matthew christopher davidson said...

Hey,

I just Googled 'theoloblog' to see who had linked me.

Your blog popped up because you said you wanted to take my blog name.

Coveter! The Lord watcheth and judgeth severely! Verily, He shall smite!

Kidding.

I am an Orthodox sympathizer, interestingly. We should chat. I'm going to link to your blog.

Signed,

The real Theoloblogger. Muwahahahahahahaha!

March 12, 2006 12:16 PM  
Blogger MommaKim said...

You must be at SVOTS. How great! I just left there in June. My husband was studying. I miss it greatly.
What I would give to be at Vigil on Saturday night!
How is the women's dorm this year? Do you know Robin? So nice to stumble upon your blog.

April 05, 2006 8:50 AM  
Blogger Hira Animfefte said...

insomniac, you are right. theologoumena is plural. So the singular would be 'theologoumenon.'

Yes, mommakim, I am at SVOTS! I do know Robyn, she lives down the hall and she's awesome.

The women's dorm is great. We are a pretty tight knit bunch. You know, there's us among all the boys.

And welcome Theoloblogger! Would love to talk shop (theology) sometime.

March 01, 2007 9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home